Unusual Palpitations DIY Treatments
Ever been in a situation where you’re aware of the rhythm of your heartbeat which may be normal, fast or quite irregular? Well, Good, you know what palpitation feels like then. Let’s make it simpler by giving you a definition.
What is Palpitation?
Palpitations occur when there is a sudden awareness of the heartbeat, be it normal, fast or irregular. It may please you to know that this health condition is a common problem and usually occurs with no other symptoms.
Now, you know what it means, let’s look at the causes.
Palpitations: What are the causes?
Palpitations are normally harmless and may last for a few seconds or minutes if caused by the following;
- Stimulants such as nicotine and caffeine.
When does Palpitation Become a Cause For Concern?
Palpitations become a cause for concern if they happen without obvious reasons or causes or without other symptoms or when they become prolonged.
Breaking it Down
Ever noticed your heartbeat increase or slow down without any reason?
Let’s say you are probably listening to your favorite song and the sudden awareness of your heartbeat occurs and a lot of times your heart beats as if it were racing to Neverland. Yeah, that’s the feeling. That one that starts up without an underlying cause, the one that comes with dizziness or nausea or any other symptom that you only witness during this unusual palpitations. That is the type you have to be concerned about.
So you’re experiencing these abnormal palpitations, what DIY(Do it yourself) remedies can you proffer?
Palpitations: What you can do
If your palpitations occur occasionally, these are some steps to take to prevent, control or bring it to a stop.
Keep a record of your palpitations; You could use a diary or a chart that tells you when it happens and why.
The food or drink you took prior to your palpitations, whether or not you were stressed or took part in any form of exercise and also other possible triggers you might feel.
If you are feeling stressed, engage yourself in some deep breathing and muscle relaxation exercises.
Get enough sleep; this is because exhaustion and lack of sleep can cause or aggravate palpitations.
Reduce your intake of drinks containing caffeine to the barest minimum using the following tips:
• Drinks containing caffeine include; tea, cola, and coffee. You can start by reducing your daily intake to 2 cups or less but whatever you do, ensure to cut down gradually and not too rapidly as it might give you headaches.
• Take drinks low in caffeine such as decaffeinated coffee or instant coffee( this has half as much caffeine as freshly brewed coffee).
• Make instant coffee using half regular and half decaffeinated coffee.
• Brew tea for less time than normal if you drink tea.
• Take more of drinks that are caffeine-free such as water, fruit juice, and herbal tea.
• Check the labels of soft drinks before gulping them down. This is because some colas, citrus-flavored drinks, and energy drinks have quite high caffeine levels.
- Reduce your alcohol intake as excessive drinking is a common cause of palpitations.
- Try as much as possible to give up smoking as nicotine can speed up your heartbeat thereby leading to palpitations.
- Check labels of a cough or cold remedies as some contain decongestant drugs that can cause palpitations.
- Ensure to avoid illegal stimulants such as solvents, amphetamines, or cocaine as they can cause palpitations.
If after taking these measures and your palpitations;
continue, you still suffer from recurrent episodes of palpitations, you develop symptoms such as weight loss or tiredness, seek professional medical help.
Also, seek medical help if;
- You suffer from an existing heart condition.
- You have palpitations and are sweaty, short of breath, have chest pain or feel dizzy or faint.
Remember, health is wealth and a good health will guarantee how long you can last at your favorite event.